All my life I’ve had respect for this fabulous down to earth and generous woman. So when I received an invitation from Lars Bolander,Nadine Kalachnikoff and Todd Hase to meet her and learn about Ibu movement, I was thrilled! After further research, I learned about her instrumental role in this fabulous organization and my admiration grew to a whole new level. I look forward to meeting Ms. MacGraw next Thursday, adding fabulous unique and affordable pieces to my wardrobe and more importantly, I look forward to supporting such an important and often too forgotten cause: empowering women most in need. All proceeds from sales will benefit Ibu Movement.
In the Malay language of Indonesia, Ibu means a woman of respect. The Ibu movement celebrates the imagination and skill of women from around the world, while empowering them and putting money back in to their hands. As an Ambassador designer, Ali Macgraw collaborates with 71 artisan groups in 38 countries, bringing elegant, bold, and powerful handmade luxury for the rest of the world to enjoy.
“When a woman brings money into the household,” says MacGraw. “Suddenly she can’t be treated quite the same way as before.”
Artisans spanning the globe from Guatemala, to Nepal to create, spin, dye and weave their stories in cloth. They create more than beauty as they craft their own independence, educate their children, lead communities and change futures. Just one of these 71 groups crafts and designs in-house about 70% of Ibu’s products, offering unique items found nowhere else. The artisans buy the remaining 30% wholesale, and at a more than fair trade price. This dynamic creates livelihood, collegiality, and bonds of friendship between Ibu allies and artisans.
Ali MacGraw Ibu Movement Collection
Ali’s chic sense of style takes traditional craft from 23 countries around the world, including Ali’s native New Mexico, Uzbekistan, Brazil, to Pakistan to the South Sudan, to a whole other level. “My whole life I have been crazy about wearing and collecting textiles from the four corners of the earth.
In many cases, these things have been passed down for generations. Or at least, the craft has been taught by generations.
So these women live in a cultural continuum that the West doesn’t often see. Our society changes everything immediately, outsourcing things, making things quickly and cheaply. It’s so unappealing in comparison to something made by hand, something that joins you to a group of women from around the globe,” says MacGraw during an interview for interior monologue.
Nadine Kalachnikoff, Lars Bolander & Todd Hase will host Ali MacGraw and her collection at 5013 S. Dixie Highway, WPB Thursday March 29th, 10-5 PM. Ali MacGraw will be speaking at 3pm (All proceeds from sales will go to Ibu movement).
View video below to fully appreciate Ibu movement. To view runway show of ali’s collection, fast forward half-way!
https://altimapalmbeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/download.jpg858750altimahttps://altimapalmbeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/logo6.pngaltima2018-03-18 22:55:382018-04-27 00:55:38ALI MACGRAW brings Ibu Movement to Palm Beach